samedi 15 novembre 2008

Hyuu! It's work time!

I'm quite frustrated with myself that I wasn't able to keep up a set of proper journal entries, but these past few weeks have flown by so fast! We had spent a week in the Bo Kaap with the so-called "Coloured" population and, unfortunately, much of my time was spent studying and writing up my capstone assignment on monolingualism and the Catholic Church. Coincidentally (?), my ISP research is on multilingualism and the Catholic Church. At the end of our stay, we mvoed to our new ISP homes, for me, the first of many homes.

It's been an awesome experience for this first week, though I must say that much of it has felt more like a time of retreat than anything else. My first location was Kolbe House, the Catholic Chaplaincy at UCT, where I met some of the most amazing people I've come across so far in South Africa. Many aren't originally from here, so it was cool to learn about their cultures and how they try to navigate their identities within South Africa. I really formed some great friendship there that I hope to continue for a while; I feel that my connections with Kolbe are currently so strong that a return to South Africa in the near-future doesn't feel to be out of the question. When I go back home, there'll definitely be many stories to share about Kolbe, among some of them being my attempt at dredlocks, my voyage to Rhodes Memorial, my alien encounters and Hillsong.

Aucun commentaire: