vendredi 12 septembre 2008

I can finally update! Part 3

10 September 2008
Well, what can I say? I can say two things, really: the weather down here is so unpredictable and I’m sick. Actually, I’ve been sick since Monday and decided to see the doctor today. Before I get to that point though, I would like to mention that we’ve had so much Xhosa thrown at us, that it’s interesting how much we (collectively) have retained after only five lessons. Today was our sixth lesson, where we focused much on pronunciation, including clicks. The teacher told me that it seems as though I’ve been here in South Africa for a long time (since I can pronounce the words correctly). I’m quite glad that the practice is noticeable in my speech. In any case, after the lesson, we had a lecture on Langa history and development; on Monday, we had a lecture on the educational system in South Africa. After the lecture, we went to Lelape Restaurant, in Langa. The food was so good; I keep thinking that wherever I eat is the best place I have eaten, yet it seems to be getting better with each new place. I haven’t been disappointed with the food at all. Last night, we ate umngqusho, which is samp with beans; it’s very good. However, perhaps it was because I was sick, but I thought it was very spicy. In actuality, it’s quite tasteless unless you add spices to it. Sasa told me she didn’t add any spices.

So, anyway, I went to the doctor’s after lunch; Martin drove me to Rondebosch. On the way, I checked my temperature with the thermometer I brought. He said that the particular one I have is brilliant. It’s a very simple one to use, with a digital reader. What’s really cool is that it illuminates with a different colour, depending on the temperature: a good reading is green, a cautionary-high reading is yellow, and a high, you-better-go-to-the-doctor kind of reading is red. I got to the office about half an hour earlier than my scheduled appointment, so I had to wait around for a bit. However, I saw him on time, went through the checkup and was out the door in about ten to fifteen minutes. Prescriptions in hand, Martin and I walked to Clicks, a pharmacy store, and got my prescriptions filled within about five minutes. We were on our way back to Langa around 4pm; my appointment was at 3:30pm. Try going through all that in the States!

Part B:
For dinner, we had chicken (which, if my parents are reading this tastes just like the chicken you cook with that light green vegetable and the sabow (probably spelling that wrong); usually cooked with small dark green leaves of some kind, too…), and rice with a soup with tomato soaked into the rice, and some cabbage with carrots. I would have taken a picture of it (naturally), but I had given my camera to Elisabeth to take photos of Langa, as I was at the doctor’s office during the tour. Thanks Elisabeth!

Siya came back from his leadership camp today and told me that he’s got a field hockey game coming up, and will be starting with cricket soon. Hopefully I can see him play either/both sometime before I leave. He taught me how to play Crazy 8’s with a normal deck of playing cards, and he, Bayanda and I played many rounds before dinner. It was cool to see their interaction with each other.

One of the most fascinating things I’ve noticed is the use of the word “Preach.” Hopefully I can understand its use better; it seems like one can use it both when you’re hearing something you know is good for you but you just don’t want to hear it, almost like a broken record, or when you support what the other is saying, sort of like a “keep going” type of encouragement.

After dinner, Bayanda, Siya and I watched Epic Movie. That’s all I’ve got to say about that. Pfft.

Sobonana ngomo.
MA

Aucun commentaire: